A review of the news from last week. Catch up at a glance.
Kipona Festival. The festival runs through Monday and will mostly be held on City Island this year. Fireworks are on Sunday.
- Fox 43–Harrisburg Kipona Festival
- WHTM 27–Kipona vendors ready for weekend festival
- PennLive–Kipona starts today. Everything you need to know about the Harrisburg festival
The City’s Treasurer has been charged with theft for allegedly taking funds from a City of Harrisburg good cause. John Campbell has surrendered to authorities and resigned from his elected position.
- today’s the day Harrisburg–Harrisburg City Treasurer John Campbell Makes A Statement, Resigns In Light of Charges Against Him
- witf–Harrisburg Treasurer charged with theft of more than $8k from non-profit
- The Bond Buyer–Harrisburg, Pa., Treasurer Charged with Theft from Nonprofit
- PennLive–Thefts from city of Harrisburg accounts not suspected, District Attorney says
- The Bond Buyer–Harrisburg Mayor: ‘All Accounts Are in Order’
- WGAL 8–Harrisburg treasurer resigns amidst theft charges
- Fox 43–Harrisburg Treasurer John Campbell announces resignation
- PennLive–Historic Harrisburg Association tightens financial procedures in wake of thefts
Harrisburg’s National Civil War Museum. City Council supports the Mayor in the call to cut the museum’s funding.
- Fox 43–Harrisburg City Council wants National Civil War Museum funding suspended
- PennLive–Harrisburg mayor continues offensive against National Civil War Museum by releasing marketing report
- Fox 43–Mayor repeats call for Commissioners to suspend museum funding
- WHTM 27–County to Mayor: Show how Harrisburg spends hotel tax revenue
- PennLive–Dauphin County commissioners still investigating mayor’s proposal to cut National Civil War Museum funding
Blight. An ongoing issue gets a district justices ruling. PennLive–Judge sides with trust managed by prominent developer in demolition dispute on Hamilton Street in Harrisburg
On one hand, good news. On the other hand, bad timing. Hall Manor’s pool is expected to open after Labor Day, while most other public pools are closing for the fall. WHTM 27–Harrisburg pool to reopen after Labor Day
Crime & Public Safety.
- PennLive–Harrisburg teen charged with homicide escaped from juvenile custody the week prior during a bathroom break
- PennLive–Man charged with firing a gun in downtown Harrisburg early Sunday
- Fox 43–Man, 25, accused of shooting at probation officers in Harrisburg
Points for the City of Harrisburg to Ponder.
- Gawker–Irrigating the (Food) Desert: A Tale of Gentrification in D.C.
- American News Report–Urban Education is Fixable?
- The Atlantic Cities–Who’s Willing to Move? The Young, the Poor, and Those Who Already Live in Cities
- reForm–The Street’s Secret Code: What asphalt tags say about the city
- Medscape–Does Urban Living Cause Mental Illness?