A review of the news from last week. Catch up at a glance.
About that $11 million the Harrisburg School District discovered……This past Tuesday, the Harrisburg School Board and Chief Recover Officer asked the teacher’s union for some more time to vote on the $11 million found. The union agreed because it means teachers could get full pay back. PennLive–Teachers union promises patience while Harrisburg School Board continues recovery plan amendments
Help for city kids. Having just left the Harrisburg School District, teacher and principle Roma Benjamin is opening A New Sound Academy to offer youth 1st through 8th grade after school tutoring and counseling. PennLive–Harrisburg city educator to open education academy, new door in life
How the Papenfuse Administration is doing so far. Under new administration, the City of Harrisburg is getting things done and residents say what needs added to the the list.
- PennLive–Eric Papenfuse’s first month as mayor of Harrisburg: Live chat at 1 p.m. with Tara Leo Auchey
- PennLive–Harrisburg’s hot topics still ice and snow: transition notebook
- Fox 43–Harrisburg residents tell city leaders what needs to be fixed
City sinkholes and streetlights. A sink hole opened just a block away from last year’s huge sinkhole that closed the street for months, and the Dauphin County DA’s office donates $25,000 to help fix the city’s street lights.
- today’s the day Harrisburg–N4th Street Sinkhole
- PennLive–Sinkhole on North 4th Street in Harrisburg will not be filled until Monday, officials say
- WHTM 27–Harrisburg crews survey new sinkhole
- PennLive–Illuminated crime fighting: DA’s office gives $25,000 to fix Harrisburg’s street lights
- Fox 43–Dauphin Co. DA’s office donates $25,000 for Harrisburg street lights
- WHTM 27–DA’s office gives $25,000 to fix Harrisburg street lights
Still a hot topic—parking in Harrisburg. On Thursday, the first Harrisburg Parking Advisory Committee met to a public crowd who had much to say about the increased rates and enforcement.
- WGAL 8–Higher cost of Harrisburg parking meter rates, fines causing concern
- PennLive–Harrisburg business owners lobbying for representation on parking board: live coverage
- Fox 43–People voice frustrations at Harrisburg parking meeting
- PennLive–Harrisburg parking committee balks at expanding membership to residents
Crime and Public Safety.
- WHTM 27–Man held for trial in fatal shooting of Harrisburg woman
- Fox 43–Property owner arrested, 9 displaced by roof collapse in Harrisburg
- WHTM 27–abc27 to host open forum on crime in Harrisburg
- PennLive–Police: Teen Harrisburg shooting victim found by officer on routine patrol
- PennLive–State prison sentence backed in shooting over Harrisburg parking spot
- Fox 43–Craigslist robber charged in Harrisburg
Points for the City of Harrisburg to Ponder.
- Reuters–Detroit bankruptcy bond fight a watershed for municipal market
- Los Angeles Times–Detroit bankruptcy plan cuts pensions, payments to creditors
- The Atlantic Cities–If a 6-Year-Old Can Help His City, Why Can’t You?
- All Africa–Kenya: Junk Food Generation – Urban Children Risking Their Health
- Urban Milwaukee–New Arboretum Offers Year-Round Learning for City Kids
- The Atlantic Cities–One City’s Quest to Erase the Gender Pay Gap
- Discover Magazine–Urban Bees Build Their Nests with Plastic
- Go Local–Urban Gardener: Forsythias Advance on Spring