Hurricane Sandy in Harrisburg: The City Survived
Last adjusted Noon, Tuesday.
The City of Harrisburg has weathered the storm! No personal injuries reported.
The Susquehanna River is not expected to flood.
Please check on your neighbors and pitch in a hand if help is needed. Also, take a couple of minutes to clean up litter, trash, debris, and leaves that were blown around the streets during the high winds. City requests that all leaves get bagged for collection.
Per the City, downed trees are the responsibility of property owners. Contact insurance companies for more information. Call the City to notify of a downed tree that has fallen in the public way and/or has fallen across power lines. See phone number below.
City of Harrisburg info:
- Closed Streets in the City of Harrisburg:
- Cumberland Street (between N3rd & N2nd Streets)
- Naudin Street
- ***43 roads that are closed in Dauphin County. See list here.***
- City of Harrisburg Trash Collection uninterrupted
- American Cross Shelter. Still open at John Harris High School (2451 Market Street)
- City of Harrisburg can park in Walnut Street Garage for FREE: 215 Walnut Street. Vehicles must be removed by 8:00am Wednesday. Take driver’s license for proof of residency
- Harrisburg School District closed through Wednesday
- Commonwealth Capitol Complex closed through Wednesday. PA Senate Local Government Hearing on Harrisburg debt crisis postponed until mid November.
City of Harrisburg report of fallen trees–717. 232.4231
PPL is reporting 1656 customers out in greater Harrisburg (HBG Mayor reports about 300 in the City), See outage map: PPL Outage Map
Report a power outage in the City of Harrisburg:
- PPL emphasizes only to call once when outage first occurs. Then they are aware of outages and are doing best to restore electricity to all.
• Calling 1-800-DIAL-PPL (1.800.342.5775) or 1.888.220.9991, or
• Reporting it online via PPL’s Outage Center here.
Outage map & check the status of your power outage by:
• Visiting PPL’s online Outage Center here, or
• Calling the Urgent Response Service at 484.634.3381
Harrisburg Bureau of Water–717.238.8725
- In the event telephone service is lost at The City of Harrisburg , Bureau of Water, emergency contact number will be 717.554.8260
UGI Gas Service–1.800.276.2722
- If you smell gas, which has an odorant added to aid in detection similar to that of rotten eggs, leave the building immediately and find phone to call--1.800.276.2722
Service for Older Pennsylvanians (Local Area Agencies on Aging (AAA) can coordinate shelter or find services)–1-800-490-8505
National Disaster Distress Helpline–1-800-985-5990 or text ‘TalkWithUs’ to 66746. Spanish-speakers can text ‘Hablanos’ to 66746. Calls and texts will be answered by trained crisis counselors from call centers throughout the U.S.
- website: National Disaster Distress
- Dauphin County Emergency Management
- City of Harrisburg
- Susquehanna River conditions & forecast:
- For PA traffic updates: 511pa.com
- PA Turnpike
- PEMA (Get Ready PA)
- National Hurricane Center
- Hurricane Sandy 2012 Situation Page