Headlines About and Related to the City of Harrisburg May 6th through May 12th
A review of the news of last week….catch up at a glance.
SEC and HBG.The latest hit to the City of Harrisburg’s reputation. Yet, no one is named to blame.
- The Wall Street Journal–City Hit by SEC Fraud Charges
- The New York Times–S.E.C. Contends Harrisburg, Pa., Misled Its Bond Investors
- CFO–Harrisburg: The City that Couldn’t Shoot Straight?
- CNN Money–SEC sues financially troubled Harrisburg
- Reuters–SEC charges Pennsylvania’s Harrisburg with fraud
- PennLive–SEC charges Harrisburg with fraud; settled case puts all municipalities on notice
- Central Penn Business Journal–SEC charges City of Harrisburg with securities fraud
- witf–Harrisburg fraud charges could eventually lead to more clarity
PA State Senators talk about Harrisburg again.
- Central Penn Business Journal–Harrisburg incinerator prompts senators to call for more state oversight of municipal deals
- witf–PA senators target municipal swaps, loan deals
- The Tribune Democrat–Bill would ban interest swaps
- Philly.com–Pa. senators target municipal swaps, loan deals
- PennLive–Bipartisan senate bill aims to right local government financial wrongs
- Lebanon Daily News–Sen. Mike Folmer joins team pushing municipal oversight legislation
Election 2013. The last of the mayoral debates wrap up as the May 21st primary approaches.
- WHTM 27–Eric Papenfuse seeks to unite city, reduce crime with mayoral bid
- PennLive–Harrisburg’s HYP mayoral debate offers more of the same, with a twist
- PennLive–Harrisburg mayoral candidates talk about making the hard decision at final debate
- WHP TV–Mayoral candidates speak out after SEC action against City of Harrisburg
- WHP TV–Tempers flare at Harrisburg Mayoral candidate debate
- WHTM 27–Miller says bankruptcy remains the key to Harrisburg’s recovery
- WHTM 27–Candidate profile: Lewis Butts wants to be Harrisburg’s mayor
Tanker truck troubles for Harrisburg. The Paxton Creek was affected and Wildwood Park closed.
- today’s the day Harrisburg–Wildwood Park Closed Due to Fuel Spill
- WITF–Tanker fire may have spilled fuel into nearby waterways
Public Safety and Crime. A grave crime stat grows, but at least the cameras are on the way.
- PennLive–Harrisburg police will monitor $452K surveillance system coming this summer
- WHTM 27–Officials hope Harrisburg surveillance cameras will deter crime
- PennLive–Harrisburg awaits cameras to fight crime
- CBS 21–Harrisburg to install security cameras to help knock down crime
- PennLive–Body found in Harrisburg apartment complex believed to be city’s eighth confirmed homicide of the year
- Fox 43–No arrests in Harrisburg’s 8th Homicide of 2013
Points for the City of Harrisburg to ponder.
- The Atlantic Cities–How to Resurrect an Urban School District
- The New York Times–Tasty, and Subversive, Too
- Global Site Plan–Shanghai: A Model for Community Based Development?
- Huffington Post–Street Art Across The Globe: The Best Cities In The World For Graffiti And Urban Art