A review of the news of last week…catch up at a glance!
Election 2013. The write-in candidates are out and about, and that makes four candidates vying for the Office of Mayor in the City of Harrisburg.
- WHTM 27–Aaron Johnson waging write-in campaign for Harrisburg mayor
- Fox 43–All four Harrisburg mayoral candidates debate for first time
- PennLive–First, only debate among full Harrisburg mayoral field: 5 takeaways
- WHTM 27–Harrisburg mayoral candidates square off again
Harrisburg’s debt. Mayoral candidate Dan Miller speaks out about the Receiver’s Recovery Plan and is dismissed.
- PennLive–Court dismisses Dan Miller’s objections to Harrisburg debt plan
- Law 360–Harrisburg Controller Can’t Stop City’s Restructuring Plan
- Bond Buyer Online–Harrisburg Recovery Plan Under the Gun
Harrisburg’s Cash Flow.
- PennLive–Harrisburg hoping to avert cashflow crisis
- PennLive–Harrisburg debt deal delays threaten city cashflow
Crime and Public Safety.
- WHTM 27–Leaders seek safety measures for ‘dangerous’ Cameron St
- PennLive–Harrisburg teen charged with allegedly shooting at woman
- GreenwichTime–False alarm fines increase in Harrisburg
- WHTM 27–Harrisburg fire union strikes deal, concerned about safety
The Good Stuff.
- Connectivity. East and West shores of the Susquehanna. PennLive–Pedestrian rail bridge over Susquehanna draws interest, but faces challenges aplenty
Points for the City of Harrisburg to Ponder.
- The Atlantic Cities–How Crummy, Run-Down Housing Harms the Children Who Live in It
- The Atlantic Cities–Beware of the U.S. Charter School Doom Loop
- St. Louis Post–Editorial: Want to fix urban schools? Focus on preschool
- CBS Philly–Work To Ride Gets Inner City Kids On To Horses
- The Atlantic Cities–Why Eminent Domain Can’t Save Broke Cities Like Richmond, California
- The Washington Post–Things are bad for the 15 communities that explored a desperate housing bailout