A review of the news from last week. Catch up at a glance.
City Vehicles Stolen.
- PennLive–City vehicles stolen from Harrisburg maintenance facility: reports
- Daily Journal–Errant Harrisburg police cruiser prompts discovery of break-in at city maintenance depot
Blight. Two homes on Derry Street collapse, which leads to the announcement of a new Housing Court for the City of Harrisburg.
- WHTM 27–Abandoned home collapses in Harrisburg
- PennLive–Papenfuse asks for criminal charges against owners of Derry Street properties involved in Wednesday collapse
Creation of Housing Court to tackle the city’s blight. The new Housing Court will hear cases of code violations for buildings in the City, which will take effect on May 5th.
- WHTM 27–Harrisburg’s housing court to target codes violators
- The Sentinel–Papenfuse announces Housing Court for Harrisburg
- PennLive–Code violation in Harrisburg? You’re headed to housing court
- PennLive–Is Papenfuse’s housing court an effective response to blight in Harrisburg?
- WHTM 27–Harrisburg City freezes hiring to manage budget deficit
- WHTM 27–Harrisburg Strong plan not enough to prevent mid-year deficit
The Good Stuff. The Great Harrisburg Clean Up. On Saturday, May 3rd the community set out to help make Harrisburg a cleaner city.
- PennLive–Across city, volunteers pick up litter, trash for Great Harrisburg Cleanup
- today’s the day Harrisburg–Volunteers from PA DEP Cleans Up a City of Harrisburg Park
Crime and Public Safety.
- WHTM 27–Police seek suspect of Harrisburg shooting
- PennLive–Harrisburg police search for suspect accused of shooting man last week
- PennLive–Harrisburg man gets 15 to 30 years in prison after pleading guilty during shooting trial
Points for the City of Harrisburg to Ponder.
- The Atlantic Cities–The Latest Pennsylvania Town That Can’t Pay Its Bills
- Food Safety News–Safely Integrating Urban Agriculture With Urban Living
- The Atlantic Cities–The U.S. Cities Where Creative Class Workers Are Most Segregated From Everyone Else
- The Atlantic Cities–New Evidence That Urban Water Pollution Is Harming Birds
- The Huffington Post–Urban Recycling: Not a Bad (Unironic) Beer in the Box.