On April 26th, Chief Recovery Officer Gene Veno issued his Recovery Plan for the Harrisburg School District.
Last fall, the City of Harrisburg’s School District was declared in “Moderate Financial Recovery” by the State. This designation means that the school district is in trouble and if nothing is done, its financial recovery will be more severe.
In order to direct a team to fix the district, Gene G. Veno was appointed by the Department of Education on December 12, 2012 to develop a Recovery Plan that does two things:
- improves academics
- establishes financial stability
After 135 days, he publicly presented his plan for public review and comment. In order to be enacted, the plan must be approved by the School Board of Directors who are also in the process of developing the 2013-2014 Budget.
The School Board has until May 30th to vote on the Plan. If they vote in favor of it, the implementation begins immediately.
Read the HSD Recovery Plan here>>> HSD Proposed Recovery Plan
a today’s the day review of the plan published on Monday, April 29th>>> See here
Until then, below is a timeline of the Recovery Plan process:
- 4/24/2013:Public Meeting: Harrisburg School District Recovery Plan
- 4/16/2013: today’s the day Harrisburg on witf’s Radio Smart Talk
- 4/12/2013: Brief Update on the Recovery Progress of the Harrisburg School District
- 4/07/2013: HSD Chief Recovery Officer Public Meeting
- 3/14/2013: Slideshow Presentation of Harrisburg School District Recovery Process
- 3/12/2013: Harrisburg Chief Recovery Officer Granted Extension to Complete Recovery Plan for School District
- 3/07/2013: Harrisburg School District Chief Recovery Officer Requests Extension Of Recovery Plan Deadline
- 2/26/2013: City of Harrisburg To Get Its Second Charter School for the New School Year
- 2/21/2013: The Sequester and the City of Harrisburg
- 2/20/2013: Harrisburg School Board of Directors Rejected CASA Charter School Application
- 2/08/2013: Students in These Low Achieving Dauphin County Schools Can Apply To Go Somewhere Else
- 2/06/2013: Gene Veno, Chief Recovery Officer of the Harrisburg School District Makes a Presentation to the Public
- 1/28/2013: The Harrisburg School District: Road to Recovery
- 1/20/2013: HBG School District Public Meeting With Chief Recovery Officer
- 1/14/2013: Harrisburg School District Chief Recovery Officer to Hold First Advisory Committee Meeting
- 1/03/2013: By Gene Veno–Harrisburg School District’s Chief Recovery Officer: We Can Do Better
- 12/26/2013: Harrisburg School District To Settle With Former Superintendent Gerald Kohn
- 12/13/2013: Harrisburg City School District Declared in Financial Recovery & A Chief Recovery Officer is Appointed